bcp xp_cmdShell error

• Hello -

this is my first time using the xp_cmdshell bcp query.

I'm trying to use a where clause in the bcp command and I'm getting an error.

THE T-SQL CODE

DECLARE @FileName varchar(100)

DECLARE @bcpCommand varchar(2000)

DECLARE @assetNumber varchar(10)

SET @assetNumber = 'A4336'

SET @FileName = REPLACE('D:\batchTest_'+convert(char(8),getdate(),1)+'.txt','/','-')

SET @bcpCommand = 'bcp "select * from pfo21.dbo.device where pfo21.dbo.device.assetnumber = '

SET @bcpCommand = @bcpCommand + @assetNumber

SET @bcpCommand = @bcpCommand + ' " queryout '

SET @bcpCommand = @bcpCommand + @FileName + ' -T -c -t,'

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell @bcpCommand

The above produces @bcpCommand = to the following:

bcp "select * from pfo21.dbo.device where pfo21.dbo.device.assetnumber = A4336 " queryout D:\batchTest_05-25-12.txt -T -c -t,

I think the problem with this is that the A4336 should be 'A4336'... The query seems to think that A4336 is a column name...

I can get the script to work without any conditions or usage of the where clause and so I'm wondering there is someway to get this to work with conditional clauses.. .

The error that is received is as follows: Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'A4336'.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

• This is the line you need to change:

SET @bcpCommand = @bcpCommand + '''' + @assetNumber + ''''

John

• Thank you John... That was easy and it works..

One more question... Is it possible to export to a shared drive using the mapped drive location?

Possibly an ftproot location

• You mean a mapped drive - N:\MyFolder, where N: is mapped to \\MyServer\MyShare? Better to use a UNC, since the code will be executed in the context of the account that runs SQL Server, not (necessarily) the account that mapped the drive.

John

• Thank you again...

I used the UNC and still received an error:

Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Unable to open BCP host data-file

Is their permissions that need to be available? If so, would know what I should be asking for with our network people?

• The account that runs SQL Server needs read permission on the folder that contains the file you're importing from.

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply