BCP IN error: #@ Row 1, Column 1: String data, right truncation @#

• [p]Hi,

I am able to do BCP OUT successfully, but failing when BCP IN from flat files to tables. My BCP OUT query creating flat file, which is having data of server name. In this case data is 0GCC0501921\SQLSERVER2008. I am using the following query to do BCP IN..DECLARE @cmd varchar(1000), @result int

SET @cmd = 'BCP BIW.dbo.BIW_Stage_Dim_DatabaseServer IN E:\temp\BIW_Stage_Dim_DatabaseServer.txt -N -SGCC0501921\SQLSERVER2008 -Ulogin -Ppassword -eE:\temp\errorfile.txt'

EXEC @result = master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmd, no_output I am not getting any error while executing this query but data is not loading into tables. I noticed error in error log file: #@ Row 1, Column 1: String data, right truncation @#

GCC0501921\SQLSERVER2008.[/p][p]Then I suspected the character "\", removed manually and executed again. Now data is loading into table.[/p][p]How can I load same data into tables without removing any special characters like "\" ? [/p][p]Can anybody suggest me the best practice, Please?[/p]

KSB
    -----------------------------
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Knowledge and happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

• Hi,

You can use a square brackets [] like -S[GCC0501921\SQLSERVER2008] to specify the server name.

This is a good practice.

DECLARE @cmd varchar(1000), @result int

SET @cmd = 'BCP BIW.dbo.BIW_Stage_Dim_DatabaseServer IN E:\temp\BIW_Stage_Dim_DatabaseServer.txt -N -S[GCC0501921\SQLSERVER2008] -Ulogin -Ppassword -eE:\temp\errorfile.txt'

EXEC @result = master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmd, no_output

Thanks.:-)

• [p]Actually, they are using SELECT @@SERVERNAME to get the server name and storing into a table. Then I am doing BCP OUT to flat file. Next doing BCP IN to store into another table. Here only I am getting error. [/p]

KSB
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Knowledge and happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

• lak's suggestion still stands; if you bracket the server name you'd fix the issue:

select quotename(@@SERVERNAME)

--or

select quotename(ColumnName) from SomeTable

you are probably building the bcp string, right? very simple to get the quotename function involved, or even ... + '[' + servername + ']' + .... in there to fix it.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• [p]Thanks for your response. It is working.[/p]

KSB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply