BCP function

• Hi, I have a few questions regarding the BCP (bulk copy) command for SQL Server 2000.

• What kind of access profile do I need to use it.  I am not an admin nor do I have Enterprise Manager.  I only have Query Analyzer.  Is this enough to simply be able to import text files into an SQL Server database that I am able to query and create tables in using T-SQL?
    • Is the BCP command executed in Query Analyzer or in Dos command prompt?
    • In our corporation, the SQL Server is on its own server which resides on a network, how would I direct the BCP command to find out where the server is?  The server information is the following:

server name:  SW520SQLDEV01

database name: merch                        

ownername:  this should be the owner of the table and not the owner of the database, right?

•   Finally, where should the format file be stored or does this not matter as long as its path is specified?

Whenever I try to run the BCP command from DOS command prompt, it gives me native error 17 - that I don't have a correct username or that it can't find the server.

Any help would be greaty appreciated.  It seems like a simple enough task!

Many thanks in advance

• Bulk Insert ADministrators built-in server role would work. But isn't this Yukon forum ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply