BCP batch file - looping error

• Morning,

I created a batch file to bcp xml out of tables. When executing the file it

just loops on the first bcp statement without executing. It works fine if I copy it into the cmd prompt manually. I have full rights to the server. Here's

the statement:

bcp "Select BookInvoiceXML from test.dbo.BookInvoice WHERE BookInvoiceID = 1" queryout c:\arcgis

\test2.xml -SOlivermorris-pc\R2 -T -c -r -t

bcp "Select BookInvoiceXML from test.dbo.BookInvoice WHERE BookInvoiceID = 2" queryout c:\arcgis

\test3.xml -SOlivermorris-pc\R2 -T -c -r -t

Any ideas,

Many Thanks for your help,

Oliver

• Found a way around using xp_cmdshell, very happy. borrowed lots from others.

Cheers

DECLARE @filename VARCHAR(255)

declare @RowNum int,

@CustId nchar(5),

@Name1 nchar(25)

select @CustId=MAX(ID) FROM _SSA --start with the highest ID

Select @RowNum = Count(*) From _SSA --get total number of records

WHILE @RowNum > 0 --loop until no more records

BEGIN

select @Name1 = id from _SSA where ID = @CustID --get other info from that row

SELECT @filename = [xmlFileName] FROM _SSA where ID = @CustID

-- print cast(@RowNum as char(12)) + ' ' + @CustId + ' ' + @Name1 --do whatever

DECLARE @SQL VARCHAR(400)

DECLARE @SQL2 VARCHAR(255)

DECLARE @SQL3 VARCHAR(255)

SET @sql3 = @filename

SET @sql2 = @filename

SET @sql = ' bcp "Select xml_data from test.dbo._SSA where xmlFileName = ''' + @SQL2 + '''" queryout c:\arcgis\' + @SQL3 + '.xml -SOlivermorris-pc\R2 -T -c -r -t '

--print @SQL

EXEC Master..xp_cmdshell @SQL

select top 1 @CustId=ID from _SSA where ID < @CustID order by ID desc--get the next one

set @RowNum = @RowNum - 1 --decrease count

END

• Resurrecting this post. It is here so other people who have the same error don't spend an eternity trying to find a solution. The problem is that the your PATH environment variable is mapped to multiple SQL versions of BCP. Use the absolute BCP path in your call, and the issue goes away.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply