Batch delete TSQL

• Hi,

I am trying to 'tune' one of our applications housekeeping scripts, which runs against dozens of database tables every night. The details of the tables to be maintained are stored in a master table with the names, number of days data to be kept, and a 'flag' (there are other fields, but they don't seem to be referenced by the query). Each night, a stored procedure runs that deletes data from each of the tables listed in the master table, based on the number-of-days-data-to-be-kept column, and whether the flag columns has the right value in it.

This is my attempted re-hash of the original procedure (which I've attached to try and keep the length of the post down):

USE [mydb]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[USP_DeleteFromStoreTables] Script Date: 11/15/2011 12:02:28 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[USP_Housekeeping]

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @TableName VARCHAR(100), @TableOwner VARCHAR(20), @DateColumn VARCHAR(50), @SQL VARCHAR(1000), @DaysStored VARCHAR(100)

DECLARE @IDINT

DECLARE @MaxIDINT

DECLARE @dbNameNVARCHAR(50)

DECLARE @ICNTINT

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY [TableName]) as [ID],

st.TABLE_SCHEMA,

st.TABLE_NAME,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(50), DATEADD(DD,'-' + t.DaysStored, GETDATE()),102) AS DaysStored,

T.DateColumn

INTO #Store_Duration

FROM dbo.MASTERSTORE T

INNER JOIN INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES st ON T.TableName = st.TABLE_NAME

WHERE st.TABLE_NAME = T.TableName

SELECT @MaxID = COUNT(ID) FROM #Store_Duration

SET @ICNT = 1

WHILE @ICNT <= @MaxID

BEGIN

SELECT @Tableowner = [TABLE_SCHEMA], @TableName = [TABLE_NAME], @DaysStored = [DaysStored], @DateColumn = [DateColumn]

FROM #Store_duration WHERE ID = @ICNT

if exists(select SC.* from sysobjects SO

INNER JOIN syscolumns SC

ON SO.id = SC.id

where SO.Name = @TableName

and SC.Name = @DateColumn)

BEGIN

SET @SQL = 'DELETE FROM [' + @TableOwner + '].[' + @TableName + '] WHERE [' + @DateColumn + '] < ' + @DaysStored

print (@SQL)

--EXEC (@SQL)

END

SET ROWCOUNT 0

SET @ICNT = @ICNT + 1

END

DROP TABLE #Store_Duration

This is the table definition for MASTERSTORE, which tracks the tables to be maintained and the criteria used for deleting the data

USE [mydb]

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[T_MASTER_STORE_DURATION] Script Date: 11/16/2011 10:02:27 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[MASTERSTORE](

[TableName] [varchar](100) NOT NULL,

[DaysStored] [int] NOT NULL,

[DateColumn] [varchar](50) NOT NULL

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[TableName] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

Here's some data for the MASTERSTORE table:

INSERT INTO MASTERSTORE (TableName, DaysStored, DateColumn) VALUES ('MyTable1',5, 'load_date')

INSERT INTO MASTERSTORE (TableName, DaysStored, DateColumn) VALUES ('MyTable2',5, 'load_date')

INSERT INTO MASTERSTORE (TableName, DaysStored, DateColumn) VALUES ('MyTable3',5, 'load_date')

INSERT INTO MASTERSTORE (TableName, DaysStored, DateColumn) VALUES ('MyTable4',35, 'load_date')

INSERT INTO MASTERSTORE (TableName, DaysStored, DateColumn) VALUES ('MyTable5',99, 'Load_Date')

INSERT INTO MASTERSTORE (TableName, DaysStored, DateColumn) VALUES ('MyTable6',9999, 'Load_Date')

Typically, the MASTERSTORE table has about 175 rows in it. All of the tables being referenced from the MASTERSTORE table have different structures. The only commonality between them is the 'load_date' column (as far as I know). Some of the underlying tables have only a couple of hundred rows, and others may have millions.

I'm not allowed to change anything other than the stored procedure that's iterating through all the tables and deleting rows based on a given data age and type.

1) I would like to have some logic that deletes rows from the underlying tables in batches. I can't get it to work within the dynamic SQL.

2) Please feel free to make any improvements/criticism.... I'm still learning

Thanks for taking the time to look, and if you need any more information, please let me know.

Andrew

• Please post the code about the non working batch delete.

• Hi,

This is one of many attempts... It generates valid SQL okay, but it doesn't seem (based on the printed output) to be looping through the table until all qualifying records have been deleted.

USE [mydb]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[USP_DeleteFromStoreTables] Script Date: 11/15/2011 12:02:28 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[USP_Houseke]

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @TableName VARCHAR(100), @TableOwner VARCHAR(20), @DateColumn VARCHAR(50), @SQL VARCHAR(1000), @DaysStored VARCHAR(100)

DECLARE @IDINT

DECLARE @MaxIDINT

DECLARE @ICNTINT

st.TABLE_SCHEMA,

st.TABLE_NAME,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(50), DATEADD(DD,'-' + t.DaysStored, GETDATE()),102) AS DaysStored,

T.DateColumn

INTO #Store_Duration

FROM dbo.MASTERSTORE T

SET @ICNT = 1

WHILE @ICNT <= @MaxID

BEGIN

SELECT @Tableowner = [TABLE_SCHEMA], @TableName = [TABLE_NAME], @DaysStored = [DaysStored], @DateColumn = [DateColumn]

INNER JOIN syscolumns SC

ON SO.id = SC.id

BEGIN

DECLARE @rowcount int

SET @rowcount = 1

DECLARE @batchsize int

SET @batchsize = 5000

WHILE (@rowcount > 0)

BEGIN

SET @SQL = 'DELETE TOP ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), @batchsize) + ' FROM [' + @TableOwner + '].[' + @TableName + '] WHERE [' + @DateColumn + '] < ' + @DaysStored

PRINT (@SQL)

--delete top @batchsize from table where foo=1

SET @rowcount = @@ROWCOUNT

END

END

SET ROWCOUNT 0

SET @ICNT = @ICNT + 1

END

• That whole section needs to be a single dynamic sql call.

DECLARE @rowcount int

SET @rowcount = 1

DECLARE @batchsize int

SET @batchsize = 5000

WHILE (@rowcount > 0)

BEGIN

SET @SQL = 'DELETE TOP ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), @batchsize) + ' FROM [' + @TableOwner + '].[' + @TableName + '] WHERE [' + @DateColumn + '] < ' + @DaysStored

PRINT (@SQL)

--delete top @batchsize from table where foo=1

END

P.S. You might want to try a little more than 5000 rows. Most systems are fine with a lot more.

See how it goes but increasing the tlog backups frequency during a purge like that is not a bad idea either.

• Hi,

Point taken about batch size - i'll change this.

So, I've come up with this. How's it look? Anything stand out as being rubbish? It seems to go round the tables okay.

USE [MYDB]

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[USP_Houseke]

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @IDINT

DECLARE @MaxIDINT

DECLARE @ICNTINT

st.TABLE_SCHEMA,

st.TABLE_NAME,

T.DateColumn

INTO #Store_Duration

FROM dbo.MASTERSTORE T

SET @ICNT = 1

WHILE @ICNT <= @MaxID

BEGIN

INNER JOIN syscolumns SC

ON SO.id = SC.id

BEGIN

SET @SQL = '

DECLARE @rowcount int

SET @rowcount = 1

DECLARE @batchsize int

SET @batchsize = 5000

WHILE (@rowcount > 0)

BEGIN

DELETE TOP (@batchsize) FROM [' + @TableOwner + '].[' + @TableName + '] WHERE [' + @DateColumn + '] < '''+ @DaysStored + '''

END'

PRINT (@sql)

/*

DECLARE @rowcount int

SET @rowcount = 1

DECLARE @batchsize int

SET @batchsize = 5000

WHILE (@rowcount > 0)

BEGIN

PRINT (@SQL)

END

*/

END

--SET ROWCOUNT 0

SET @ICNT = @ICNT + 1

END

Appreciate the help

• Looks ok but it's easy to overlook something.

Only 1 way to tell if it works!

1 guess what it is :hehe:

• let someone else run it and pretend you never had anything to do with it?

• adb2303 (11/16/2011)

let someone else run it and pretend you never had anything to do with it?

Sorry, all out of guesses! 😀

• thanks for your help

• So the test runs were successful?

• on my sandpit database it looks to be. I'll have to wait for the app support team to tell me how much trade data I've inadvertently deleted before celebrating though....

• adb2303 (11/16/2011)

on my sandpit database it looks to be. I'll have to wait for the app support team to tell me how much trade data I've inadvertently deleted before celebrating though....

It should be easy enough to export the setup table into excel, recalulate the delete date there and then compare with your sql statements.

Quick test, easy piece of mind.

• Also you could take a copy of the bigger tables from prod and start testing with batches side and log growth.

Those are the only 2 things that can bite you in the arse.

• good ideas - I'll start on that now...

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply