Basic COUNTs 1

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Basic COUNTs 1

• Nice simple one to end the week on, thanks Steve.

• nice simple. added one condition in my mind while using count() if there is null value will not be calculated...๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

Manik
    You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.

• 'For the DISTINCT keyword, null values are considered to be duplicates of each other. When DISTINCT is included in a SELECT statement, only one NULL is returned in the results, regardless of how many null values are encountered.'

So I guessed 5.

• Nice, easy one to end the week on, thanks Steve

• paul s-306273 - Friday, January 19, 2018 1:52 AM

'For the DISTINCT keyword, null values are considered to be duplicates of each other. When DISTINCT is included in a SELECT statement, only one NULL is returned in the results, regardless of how many null values are encountered.'

So I guessed 5.

That's when selecting the values.  If you run this code

SELECT DISTINCT charcol
    FROM dbo.TheCounts AS tc

you will get 5 lines.

But NULLS are not included in COUNT (nor in other aggregates, like MIN and MAX)

Running the query in the question, you even get a message telling you:

Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation.

• A question I could actually answer! However, after all of the other more difficult questions, I doubted myself. I admit I had to run the code to make sure I wasn't missing anything! Nice discussion about Nulls and how they act with Distinct. I also did not look at the messages tab to see the warning, so that is a good reminder to check that tab!

Thanks!

• A coffee break question - thank you,. Steve!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply