Basic concat over 500 times slower than straight select?

• I've run this 3-4 times now over the whole day and the results don't change. I'd use for XML instead of concat, which runs instantly, but our tables names are really weird and they use non xml-friendly characters.

Can anyone explain this behavior??? I've not seen any locking on sp_who2 that could explain this. No open tran at all.

SELECT * FROM sys.tables

/*

(8323 row(s) affected)

Table 'sysidxstats'. Scan count 1, logical reads 715, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Table 'Worktable'. Scan count 1, logical reads 0, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Table 'syspalnames'. Scan count 0, logical reads 2, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Table 'syssingleobjrefs'. Scan count 2, logical reads 4, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Table 'sysschobjs'. Scan count 1, logical reads 413, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 62 ms, elapsed time = 232 ms.

SQL Server parse and compile time:

CPU time = 0 ms, elapsed time = 0 ms.

CPU time = 0 ms, elapsed time = 0 ms.

*/

DECLARE @Exec VARCHAR(MAX)

SET @Exec = ''

SELECT @Exec = @Exec + 'UPDATE STATISTICS dbo.[' + name + '] WITH FULLSCAN ; ' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) FROM sys.tables

PRINT @Exec

/*

Table 'Worktable'. Scan count 0, logical reads 237019, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 68655900, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 1685971.

Table 'sysschobjs'. Scan count 1, logical reads 413, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Table 'sysidxstats'. Scan count 1, logical reads 458, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

CPU time = 120 625 ms, elapsed time = 124 326 ms.

*/

• String manipulation in windows is notoriously bad. XML is probably using the .net stringbuilder, which is supposed to be very efficient. A while back, I think Jeff compared it to greased lightening.

There are ways to get the xml version to work with your non-friendly table names - it's usually as simple as using the TYPE directive after the FOR XML PATH(''). Post what you've got for the XML version, and we'll get it working for you.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I don't have a complete list of bad characters and I've got no idea about that type thing you're asking about.

All I know for sure at this point is that I need to handle those characters : <>&.

Maybe there are others but I want to take the guess work out of this. I have a massive window tonight so I want to test out long it takes to update all stats without discrimenations.

• On a separate note, is this worth opening a connect ticket with ms for this issue?

My guess is that they'll just tell me to use a cursor...

• I'm curious. Why does a simple concat need variable = variable + string logic? I only ever use that when I'm COALESCING or looping (Cursor or While).

What are you trying to achieve? <- Stupid question. I see what the code does when I run it. I guess I learn something new every day. @=)

EDIT: When I run your code, it runs instantly with 00:00 seconds listed as query time in bottom corner of SSMS. But I don't have funny characters in my table names.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hey, Ninja, I just realized that Varchar(MAX) isn't big enough to handle a database with a lot of tables. I've tried it on two of my "larger" databases (object-wise, not size-wise) and the last statement gets cut off in the middle. I wonder if you're having the same issue.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/12/2011)

Hey, Ninja, I just realized that Varchar(MAX) isn't big enough to handle a database with a lot of tables. I've tried it on two of my "larger" databases (object-wise, not size-wise) and the last statement gets cut off in the middle. I wonder if you're having the same issue.

Is that happening when displaying the results back in the grid?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/12/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (4/12/2011)

Hey, Ninja, I just realized that Varchar(MAX) isn't big enough to handle a database with a lot of tables. I've tried it on two of my "larger" databases (object-wise, not size-wise) and the last statement gets cut off in the middle. I wonder if you're having the same issue.

Yes.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/12/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/12/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (4/12/2011)

Yes.

That's an SSMS setting rather than a varchar(max) limitation.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I may be missing something obvious here, but the name of the table comes from sys.tables, and that's NVARCHAR, not VARCHAR. Regardless of what your tables are named an NVARCHAR should work with no issues.

Have you tried ...

DECLARE @Exec NVARCHAR(MAX)

SET @Exec = N''

SELECT @Exec = @Exec + N'UPDATE STATISTICS dbo.[' + name + N'] WITH FULLSCAN ; ' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) FROM sys.tables

PRINT @Exec

**EDIT**

Sorry Ninja, I slowed down and RE-read your post and realized, it's not an issue of it "working" or "not" rather a perf question.

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • Ninja's_RGR'us (4/12/2011)

I don't have a complete list of bad characters and I've got no idea about that type thing you're asking about.

All I know for sure at this point is that I need to handle those characters : <>&.

Maybe there are others but I want to take the guess work out of this. I have a massive window tonight so I want to test out long it takes to update all stats without discrimenations.

This is the generally accepted method for using XML in the presence of "bad" characters:

SELECT @Exec = (

SELECT N'UPDATE STATISTICS dbo.[' + name + N'] WITH FULLSCAN ; '+ NCHAR(13) + NCHAR(10)

FROM sys.tables

FOR XML PATH(''),TYPE

).value('(./text())[1]','nvarchar(max)')

As a sidebar, I don't encounter the same problem on 2k5.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

I don't have a complete list of bad characters and I've got no idea about that type thing you're asking about.

Changing "FOR XML PATH('')" to "FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE" will automagically handle those characters.

Edit: Just read Jeff's post above - he posted the rest of the solution.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Can anyone explain this behavior??? I've not seen any locking on sp_who2 that could explain this. No open tran at all.

From testing I've found out that assigning more that 512KB of data to a [n]varchar(max) will cause SQL Server to spill the variable to tempdb. Query sys.dm_db_session_file_usage (or was it sys.dm_db_task_space_usage) before and after you have executed your code and see if the internal_objects_alloc_page_count has changed for your session.

• Thank you all. I'm off site and I'll have to wait tomorrow to test Jeff's version of the code. Since "my" for xml was running in 16 ms I'm not too worried. I just didn't know how to make it work with the weird table names!

As for the tempdb spill it's definitely a possibility. Just look at the work table stats... over 70 MILLION reads for a freaking string!!! That's over half a TB of processed data :w00t:.

Table 'Worktable'. Scan count 0, logical reads 237 019, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 68 655 900, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 1 685 971.

Now for a last question. Is this worth adding has a connect ticket??? There's slow and then there's this :hehe:! I'll check the final code length but I'm pretty sure it's under 1 MB. 2 at the very worst.

SQL server 2005 32 bit std SP4 SP3.

Edited SP version in case it's relevant.

• Jeff Moden (4/12/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/12/2011)

This is the generally accepted method for using XML in the presence of "bad" characters:

SELECT @Exec = (

SELECT N'UPDATE STATISTICS dbo.[' + name + N'] WITH FULLSCAN ; '+ NCHAR(13) + NCHAR(10)

FROM sys.tables

FOR XML PATH(''),TYPE

).value('(./text())[1]','nvarchar(max)')

As a sidebar, I don't encounter the same problem on 2k5.

How much data did you test with? I have over 8300 tables to concatenate. On top of that the table names or fairly long, here's an "average" name.

dbo.[Groupe FORDIA Inc_ CONSO$Item Ledger Entry]

Another variable that might play into this. This db is case sensitive. Maybe this is the variable that tips the balance.

If you guys are willing to test on your system I'll post the actual table names so you can run on your systems.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply