basic availability group auto failover in sql 2016

• Hi,

i've setup a test environment with 2 win 2012 r2 std and 2 sql 2016 std with cluster and basic availability group with 1 listener and 2 availability group that every availability group has different database in it.i redirect the client to connect to the listener and disable the network card in the primary availability group a failover is occur and both database are active and function in the slave server (now he become the primary) which is very good but according to this article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msftpietervanhove/2017/03/14/top-5-questions-about-basic-availability-groups/

in section 6 it shouldn't work for the second availability group to automatically failover.

so my question is before i make this basic availability group in my production - should it failover automatically like it is works in my test environment or it shouldn't?

THX

• A listener doesn't prevent access to other databases on the primary instance. Since you disabled the network card on the primary server, the secondary server becomes primary for each and all basic availability groups. Due to this failover all databases reside on the same server. Hence a single listener can access all the databases (given enough permission). Only when the single basic availability group (to which the listener belongs) fails over and the other basic availability group stay on the other node, the listener can't access the other databases.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • ok thanks.

i just try to failover only the BAG that have the listener on it and the second BAG is inaccessible..

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply