Banker’s Rounding. What is it good for?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

One is the fiasco caused by their Y2K 'work-around' for for 2-digit years in the QIF inport/export file format...

Good lord... I had to work through all of that with Quicken 20 years ago and they still haven't fixed it correctly?

Yeah,  here's Quickens ( Intuits ) 'solution' that is still there:

Intuit fixed the problem with introducing two different date formats.

MM/DD'YY ( ' for add 2000, / for add 1900 )

Then it gets compounded by folks making the assumption, for instance, that years greater than '50' are 2oth century and years less than 51 are 21st century, or something like that.

So my Quicken historical data from 1943-1950 exports as future dates.  They delete my posts about this from their forums.

Twenty years later, they still haven't fixed it.  I guess I'm just getting too old...    Having cockroaches is not bad, it's just the keeping them that sucks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Banker’s Rounding. What is it good for?

• rlobbe wrote:

Really... I suggest you go back and lookup what approximate numbers are. Simply do not use these when dealing with fiscal data. problem solved.

This comment is not very useful. Please elaborate or I will assume you don't know what you are talking about.

• Hey, folks, speaking of mortgage payment rounding, I will share with you all something that is happening right now with mortgages.

A year ago I relocated and took a mortgage instead of using equity and investments to buy property.  I thought rates were great then at 3.75%.

A few days ago my banker told me that mortgages are going for 2.75% right now.  We did some research and it seems that rates have not been this low since 1971.

Yesterday he did a parking lot closing for me on my new mortgage at 2.75% and my money in the market is earning 7.03% annualized.  The mortgage payment is made from the investment earnings, I get a tax deduction for the interest, homestead exemption on property taxes, and still have my money in the market.  My only cost to refinance was $425 for an appraisal for their records.

If you have a mortgage, you might benefit from doing a refinance, depending on what you current rate is.   I've done this four times now, and my accountant says it is a good process.

Another thing you can do to probably lower you interest cost is to make you mortgage payment every month 15 days before it is due.  If you compare an amortization schedule with the breakdown on your statement, you can see the difference between projected and actual interest.  I have the payment made automatically from the investment account each month so there is no payment to remember.

Rick

• Thank you for this information, Rick. I've tried to refinance my home a couple times before, but never got anywhere with it. I've no idea why, because when I went to the lending institution to refinance, they never returned my calls, letters or email.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work wrote:

Thank you for this information, Rick. I've tried to refinance my home a couple times before, but never got anywhere with it. I've no idea why, because when I went to the lending institution to refinance, they never returned my calls, letters or email.

Rod, from what I'm reading, mortgage brokers are anxious for clients right now.  Values are up and rates are down.  I would try another lending institution.  I haven't used a bank for decades.  We deal with credit unions and have had great service from two of them over 35 years.

Don't give up.  It can make a great difference for you.

Rick

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply