Bandwidth issues during restores

• My datacenter has a 100 MBPS network. I sit outside the Data center in a 10 MBPS network.

Here's the scenario:

The 42 GB dump of a database is on Server X within the 100 MBPS network

The restore has to happen on a server Y also within the same segment/network.

My computer Z in the 10 MBPS network within the same domain as the other two.

My seniors claim that when I restore this dump on server X to the server Y using the query analyzer from my machine Z it brings down the network bandwidth.

I am not sold on this. Is anybody else??

I have a staff meeting tomorrow, before which if I get this answer....I will really appreciate this.

Regards

Paresh Motwiwala

Paresh Motiwala Manager of Data Team, Big Data Enthusiast, ex DBA

• Sorry we didnt get back to you in time. If you're connecting to a server via Query Analyzer to do the restore, it's pretty much like you're standing in front of the server to do it. All you're sending is the TSQL to execute, none of the data will go to/from your workstation.

Andy

• God helps those who help themselves(by participating in forums like these). my meeting was postponed till today.

The answer from Andy Warren would be of the greatest value....

Thanks guys..it feels like a family.

• If the network people are so concerned, why don't you agree to do the following, because I am doubtful they'll take your word on it:

1) Create a much smaller database

2) Back it up

3) Have the network people set up their monitoring software

4) Restore the database from your system

That should end the discussion once and for all.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@agfirst.com

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• You should also be able to install the Network Monitor agent in Nt/2000 and monitor bandwidth yourself as well. This way you can see what amount of network traffic is being generated.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I may be mistaken, but doesn't this put the NIC in promiscuous mode? If so, and if the network engineers have intrusion detection software running, they'll see the NIC pop up. Depending on how your company operates, that may not be allowed.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@agfirst.com

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• quote:

I may be mistaken, but doesn't this put the NIC in promiscuous mode? If so, and if the network engineers have intrusion detection software running, they'll see the NIC pop up. Depending on how your company operates, that may not be allowed.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@agfirst.com

• thank you guys. The response was overwhelming. Just to prove my point and perhaps of all those kind people on this forum I did the following.

I dialled into our VPN @ 56KBPS from home. Restored a 300 MB Database(from home) in the same amount of time as it takes me to restore it from my office computer to the datacenter machines..

This was great. Keep it up

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply