Bad Password Causes SSPI error and More

• Folks I figured I would post this so that nobody else struggles with the same problem.  Either somebody changed the AD password for my SQL Server Service Account or the password expired or became corrupted not sure what but it caused the following problems

• Using my SSMS from a Jump Server to connect to the instance I was getting failed login SSPI error
    • My SQL Native backup to a file server kept failing with \\pathtofolder\... Device Not Found
    • Of course after rebooting a secondary server the SQL Server Service would not start ...bad password

Solution:

I found that something happened to the password of the Active Directory Account that runs the SQL Server service and I do not know what happened.  After resetting the password in AD and updating the password on all nodes in the cluster everything went back to normal.  On the secondary replica servers I had to restart the SQL Server Service after updating the password, but on the primary replica just updated the password was all I had to do.

More Specifically,

Specification

• 4 node cluster using Availability Group
    • Using the same managed Active Directory Accounts for all four SQL Servers and Agent services
    • SQL Server 2014,Windows Server 2014

More detail if you are interested

One day I could SSMS to the instances of that cluster just fine and then the next day connecting gave me the SSPI error.  AG was fine and users were not complaining.  I then found that the SQL Native backups going to a file server gave the error ...\Device not found.  I checked permissions to the folder and all was good.

How I figure out the problems was when I ended up rebooting one of the Secondary replica and SQL Server Service would not start with the error bad password, so I knew what had to be done.  What's funning Is I was planning the outage to update the Password in AD and then update and restart the services and got a call at 4AM from the night crew saying the SQL service on one of the other replica would not start - the SCCM team had patched and rebooted the server.  We ended up doing the work at 4AM.

Anyway hope this information helps and feel free to post any questions or concerns and I will reply.

Jeff

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply