Bad Eyes

• I forget where I heard about this, and don't know if it applies to LCD or plasma displays:

The way a CRT produces an image with phosphors on the inside of a glass plate makes it impossible for your eyes to focus on the image. They actually keep shifting focus between the inner and outer surfaces of the glass. This is the equivalent of standing and walking on a ship that is rocking in the waves--you get used to it and don't really notice, but it is very tiring.

Supposedly, not many opticians know about this effect. There are some special prescription lenses that will counter this effect.

I've heard elsewhere that the best thing you can do for your eyes is at least once an hour, go stare out a window into the distance for a minute. It actually allows you eyes to relax into an "unfocused" state.

Posture can also be a factor, especially for those of us with bifocals that force us to tip our heads back to see the screen and materials at that same height.

David Lathrop
    DBA
    WA Dept of Health

• Seems as though it isn't always true that CRT's are bad for ones eyes. I have been in front of a screen since 1979 and still have better than average (for my age) vision.

• That's the truth. Humans, like most animals are programmed to (even unconciously) associate events with happenings whether there is an actual connection or not (that's where the power of superstition comes from). This is a survival skill in our evolutionary past (if an animal doesn't have the mental capacity to reason cause and effect, at least associating possible causes and effects increases survival chances).

I remember speaking to a late middle aged coworker who complained that after 15 years of 'using a monitor' her eyes were not what they used to be, not really thinking what 15 years of life will do to vision.

Unfortunately there are lots unproven expensive gadgets (sometimes even promoted by doctors) based on hunches rather than solid research. Other things can be simple common sense, such as resting eyes, etc. (Migraines, as noted, are very sensitive to lighting so appropriate screen dimming and room lighting would probably help).

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Well, still the same prescription here.

Thought after all this advice, I think I'll be looking for an LCD soon.

• Thought after all this advice, I think I'll be looking for an LCD soon

-- Steve Jones

I am hoping that it will be justification to buy a couple for the house

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• Just had to give in and get glasses at 42, but like other posters I think I'd have needed them at 42 whatever job I did. One comment I read about this and enjoyed was a possible explanation of why so many humans have bad eyesight, which you would not think was a good survival trait, causing those genes to be weeded out. The hypothesis goes that in prehistoric times, our 20/20 ancestors would be out hunting mastodon while the myopic males would stay back at the camp. With the females.

--
    Scott

• I started a career as a developer in 1992.  My nearsighted vision gradually worsened until early 2001 when I had LASIC done.  Although I can't can't say for certain that it was the CRTs that caused/accelerated my vision loss.  I can say that the $1800 that I spent on LASIC was a good investment.  Although the results are not guaranteed, my surgeon did agree to perform the procedure as many times as may be needed for me to reach my goal.  Fortunately, one procedure was all that was needed.  I felt that the cost of the LASIC procedure far outweighed the time and cost of not having to mess with contact lenses.  (2 x Per Day x 7 Days Per Week x 52 Weeks Per Year) at several minutes per session...  It's most likely even less expensive today.

I had the procedure done by the Laser Vision Institute.  They had lasers located in New Orleans and Atlanta and bracnh offices elsewhere.  I had the procedure done on a Friday evening at 5:00 pm and was walking around the French Quarter at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday morning after a checkup visit.  They even give you an optional Valium to help you relax while your family views the procedure on closed circuit tv.

Pat Byrne

Programmer/Analyst

Mobile County Public Schools

• I spent a few years working 16+ hours a day 7 days a week, just to keep a couple of systems going, I used to get engrossed in something and sit for hours without a break. Then I found that my eyes were failing to focus on anything when I looked at anything other than the screen. I went to an optician, who said I should take regular breaks from looking at the screen. In the uk we are meant to take 10 minutes in every hour  looking away from the screen. I found taking the full 10 minutes out and walking away from my desk solved the eye problems I had slowly cleared up. These days I take it a lot easier  work no more than about 11 hours (old habits die hard) and insist on taking the regular break, managers don't like it, but they're my eyes and I know what's best for me. The other benefit is if you walk away from the desk you get thinking time.   

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply