Backups for Master database

• Hello,

Can we take differential and log backups for MASTER Database?Iam able to take full backup but when I tried to take differential and log, it saying you can take only full backups master?

• Diff of master?? That db is usually under 12 mb. I'd stick to full backups and avoid the pain of a "more" complicated restore when need be.

• I just want to know that the Differential and log backups for Master database is allowed or NOT?

• klnsuddu (2/23/2009)

I just want to know that the Differential and log backups for Master database is allowed or NOT?

You cant take a differential/transactional backup of a master database. This is NOT allowed.

• As said by Krishna,

You can't take LOG backup for Master because Recovery Model is set as SIMPLE and even if you change it to FULL or BULK-LOGGED still database will continue to operate as SIMPLE only!

Regards,
    Sakthi
    My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc

• klnsuddu (2/23/2009)

Can we take differential and log backups for MASTER Database?Iam able to take full backup but when I tried to take differential and log, it saying you can take only full backups master?

Thank you for including the answer in your question. No, you cannot. Once SQL Server has made its mind no matter what you do or how much you complain... the decision is final 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I would stick to full backups for this as if you do god forbid have to recover it will make it much easier and also master is very small so I would not worry about it.

Terry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply