BackUps Failing...Help!

• Ok, this is the first time this has happened. We have 3 SQL Servers (Physicial) running SQL Server 2000. However, one of these fails to do any backups at all...they always fail for no reason at all.

I have tried backing up to Local disks, Network disks and nothing works. We don't backup to Tapes because a Tape backup is set to backup cetain Network Shares overnight and it hits the SQL backups then.

Now, one oddity is that there is also a Pervasive SQL Engine (Pervasive SQL 2000i 7.94) running (because we are running the Devil's own software...Maximizer). The other thing running is Norton Antivirus 2003.

Before installing Pervasive and Maximizer, I could at least backup to Local disks, however, even though I had full rights to the Network share, I could never backup to the Network path where all the other SQL Backups go.

We will probably move the Pervasive Engine off that server and other another box...but does anyone have any ideas why backups would fail or things that I can check?

Edited by - tymberwyld on 10/27/2003 06:59:30 AM

• Is Norton checking the .mdf and .ldf files? If so that is a BAD thing. We had nothing but problems until we found that you should not run Anti-Virus against the database and log files.

-SQLBill

• Ok, I'll check that.

• Ok, disabled Norton and configured to not touch MDF's or LDF's. However, I can't remember if I tried Backing up when users were not in the Database. It's true that there must be no users or Processes using the DB in order for it to be backed up, correct?

• How are you doing your backups?

Are you using SQL Server commands (BACKUP DATABASE) or are you using third-party software (for exampe: Veritas Backup Exec)?

-SQLBill

• No, we're using BackUp Jobs in SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager.

• The database can have users/processes while performing a backup.

Steve Phelps

SQL Server DBA

American Fidelity Group

• Are you using the SQL Agent to schedule the jobs? Is it started successfully? Have you checked the logs for errors? What about the event viewer for NT do you see any errors there? Can you browse and create files on the network shares (check permissions)

• Ok, I finally got it to create Backups locally. I had to Right-Click on the Database and Choose "All Tasks..." then choose "BackUp Database". In doing so, it essentially did the exact same thing I had done using the "Create Job" Wizard, however, this time it would backup!

However, I still cannot backup to a Network Share, even though the Drive is mapped and I have rights to create files on that Drive. I believe SQL Server is logged in with the System Account, does that matter?

• If you are trying to backup to a network share via a JOB, the SQLSERVERAGENT service account needs to have access to the share.

-SQLBill

• quote:

Ok, I finally got it to create Backups locally. I had to Right-Click on the Database and Choose "All Tasks..." then choose "BackUp Database". In doing so, it essentially did the exact same thing I had done using the "Create Job" Wizard, however, this time it would backup!

However, I still cannot backup to a Network Share, even though the Drive is mapped and I have rights to create files on that Drive. I believe SQL Server is logged in with the System Account, does that matter?

Yes, backups will be performed under the rights of the service login account. The LocalSystem account is only a local acount and will never see other servers on the network.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=207187

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply