Backups Failing

• I have an instance where the backup plan has been failing. I tried to recreate a new plan and it still didn't work. Just wanted to see if u guys have any idea what's wrong.

Date7/24/2012 12:00:01 AM

LogJob History (UserDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup)

Step ID1

ServerLOBSTERVC1\LOBSTERVC1VC

Job NameUserDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup

Step NameFull Backup

Duration00:00:00

Sql Severity0

Sql Message ID0

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted0

Executed as user: LOBSTERVC1\sqlagtacct_vc. The step did not generate any output. The return value was unknown. The process exit code was -1073741502. The step failed.

• we may require additional information.

1) Is there a entry in SQL Error log around the same time the backup job fails?

2) Are you backing up the databases on local drive \ SAN ?

• Further can you try backing any database manually to the same storage location preferably logged in as LOBSTERVC1\sqlagtacct_vc ?

like say:

Backup database master to disk = 'drivename:\folder\master_manual_test.bak'

we may have to rule out all possible issues one at a time.

• Vikrant S Patil (7/24/2012)

Further can you try backing any database manually to the same storage location preferably logged in as LOBSTERVC1\sqlagtacct_vc ?

like say:

Backup database master to disk = 'drivename:\folder\master_manual_test.bak'

we may have to rule out all possible issues one at a time.

I forgot to mention when I back up manually with t-sql it works

• We really do need to know the exact error message(s) you are getting in regards to your failed backups. Can't help you figure out what is wrong when we don't know the problem.

• Windows Event Log (Application):

SQL Server Scheduled Job 'SystemDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup' (0x6CB778EBF25F664B91FA765B1513846E) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2012-07-23 00:00:00 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 12 (SystemDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup). The last step to run was step 1 (Full Backup).

SQL Server Scheduled Job 'UserDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup' (0xC1A65B7189DB5F42B1F2CA51C32BA0BB) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2012-07-23 00:00:00 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 16 (UserDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup). The last step to run was step 1 (Full Backup).

When I run it manually:

SQL Server Scheduled Job 'UserDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup' (0xE0B64365392F3A4293A2CAEC18AD6474) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2012-07-24 11:30:01 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by User LobsterVC1\RedLobsterADMIN. The last step to run was step 1 (Full Backup).

SQL Agent History

Date7/24/2012 12:00:01 AM

LogJob History (UserDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup)

Step ID1

ServerLobsterVC1\LobsterVC1VC

Job NameUserDB MaintenancePlan.Full Backup

Step NameFull Backup

Duration00:00:00

Sql Severity0

Sql Message ID0

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted0

Executed as user: Lobster2VC1\sqlagtacct_vc. The step did not generate any output. The return value was unknown. The process exit code was -1073741502. The step failed.

• Check your sql logs as well.

• yes

1) check SQL error log.

2) and also the text output file (associated with the maint plan) that may have been generated in the log folder that is located in the SQL directory ( same directory where your system database files reside)

Also when you executed the backup manually did you execute it under the security context of the same user that was associated with the job execution failure?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply