Backup/Restore Sql 2005 to 2000

• Hi,

Let me explain what I am trying to do in Steps:

I have:

- Sql server 2005 at my hosting

- Sql server 2000 at my office computer

I want to download complete sql server 2005 database from my hosting server and update my sql 2000 db on my office computer.

Please Advice.

Thanks!

Zeeshan

• There's no way to do that with physical backups (I mean BACKUP / RESTORE commands).

You could script out the whole database DDL and then export and import data using SSIS or BCP.

Hope this helps

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

• On another note, can I ask you why you can't install SQL Server 2005 on your computer?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Thanks for replying to my post.

I can install 2005, but if I do install 2005, will it be easier to copy online database to my computer?

Thanks again.

Zeeshan

• Yeah, if you have 2005, you can run a backup on one machine and then restore it to the other. That's about the easiest way to move a whole database that there is.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• zeeshandar (2/16/2012)

Hi,

Let me explain what I am trying to do in Steps:

I have:

- Sql server 2005 at my hosting

- Sql server 2000 at my office computer

I want to download complete sql server 2005 database from my hosting server and update my sql 2000 db on my office computer.

Please Advice.

Thanks!

Zeeshan

I would consider purchasing SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. Last time I checked it was available from Amazon for $50.00 (US). It is equivalent to the Enterprise Edition of 2005, with one restriction it can not be used as a production server. For you it would allow you to modify/create new code/testing modules which could later be moved to your production server.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (2/16/2012)

I would consider purchasing SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. Last time I checked it was available from Amazon for $50.00 (US). It is equivalent to the Enterprise Edition of 2005, with one restriction it can not be used as a production server. For you it would allow you to modify/create new code/testing modules which could later be moved to your production server.

Thanks Ron.

I have Visual Studio .Net DVD and it has Sql Server 2008 in it.

Actually the yesterday I re-installed window xp on my computer and forgot to create a backup of my sql server databases.

• Sorry to bother you again.

I am installing Visual Studio which is also installing Sql Server components. Please see attached image.

Will these components let me download database from online sql server 2005?

• It'll let you restore a SQL 2005 backup to it, yes (providing the database is under 4GB in size), however once the database is on that instance you will not be able to take a backup and restore it back to SQL 2005 because of the version.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply