Backup with setFormatMedia

• Hi,

I ran into problem when I set FormatMedia property to TRUE in backup object. if I do not set this property or set it to FALSE, the code runs fine.

Here is the exerpt of the relevant code:

g_pSQLBackup->SetDatabase (g_szDBName);

g_pSQLBackup->SetTapes(g_szBkupRstrFileName);

g_pSQLBackup->SetAction(SQLDMOBackup_Database);

g_pSQLBackup->SetBackupSetName (g_szBkupSetName);

g_pSQLBackup->SetFormatMedia (TRUE);

// perform backup

if FAILED(hr = g_pSQLBackup->SQLBackup (g_pSQLServer)) {

printf("in C, Backup failed\n");

} else {

printf("in C, Backup is successful\n");

}

Please help me identify what's wrong with my code.

Thanks

Bill

• Hi Bill,

Sorry for the late reply, was out of the office for a few days. It'll be another day or two before I get a chance to look into it, don't have a machine at home right now that has SQL AND a tape drive!

Andy

• Hi, Andy,

Glad to hear from you. Here is additional info:

1) SQL server 7.0

2) if I use SetInitialize(TRUE) instead of SetFormatMedia(TRUE), the code can also run without problem.

3) if I use T-SQL to do backup, there is no problem with format or init option. But I may have to use DMO because of the event feature, such as nextMedia event I need to show to user via Java app.

Bill

• Cool - I'll try to experiment tonight if I can get everythign working at home so I have a tape to test with.

Andy

• Hey Bill,

Think this is a record for slowest reply, sorry for the delay. Did some quick testing and found that if I do the following it works:

.FormatMedia = True

.Initialize = True

.SkipTapeHeader = True

There is some interaction between init and skip, take a look at Backup in BOL. A good way to get a better feel for whats going on is to do the following just before the call to the SQLBackup method:

sql = .GenerateSQL

Debug.Print sql

That way you can see exactly what DMO is generating. See if that works. If not, we'll definitely try to do a faster turn around on the next question!

Andy

• Hi, Andy

It Works! Your suggestions are very helpful.

Thanks a lot

Bill

• Glad it helped!

Andy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply