Backup validation

• Hello Masters,

After successfull backup, how can one know that the outcome of backup is not corrupted and its valid that we can use during restoration ? I mean just want to know how can we check the recent backup set is not corrupted or its good ? Is there any method OR we can not check backup sets validity except restoring it?

• RESTORE VERIFYONLY if you took the backup WITH CHECKSUM. Even that's not a 100% guarantee. Best thing is to restore it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • We can not go with restore option if backup size is bigger each time... Is RESTORE ONLY and With CHECKSUM are 100% sure to validate backup files ?

• jitendra.padhiyar (7/26/2012)

Is RESTORE ONLY and With CHECKSUM are 100% sure to validate backup files ?

No, I said above that it is not. It's very close, but it's not a 100% guarantee.

Why can't you test-restore backups?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks for the reply !

Restore is possible if I have single or couple of db, but if I have many db than its not possible to restore each db and test. But if Restore is the only option than we can check only some critical db. Correct me or guide me if I am not on right path.

Thanks in advance !

• jitendra.padhiyar (7/26/2012)

Restore is possible if I have single or couple of db, but if I have many db than its not possible to restore each db and test.

Why not?

Gail Shaw

• I am in complete agreement with Gail.

A DR plan should always include testing of backup restores on a regular basis.

you would surely not want to learn it the hard way.

• I too totally agree with Gail, but if the DB size is in TB than it will be time consuming testing !

And If we have multiple DB to test backup than it will take too much time. Thats why I hope there might be any other technique to know the validation of backup, IF ANY.

Thanks,

Jitendra Padhiyar

• jitendra.padhiyar (7/30/2012)

I too totally agree with Gail, but if the DB size is in TB than it will be time consuming testing !

And If we have multiple DB to test backup than it will take too much time.

Which is why you automate it. A bit of initial work to set up and after that it takes none of your time at all unless a restore fails.

Gail Shaw

• After Restore verifyonly, its recommended to restore the database and run a checkdb to ensure no IO-related corruptions are there.

I would like to get some inputs on Restoreverifyonly from you all, especially GilaMonster. I will start a new post.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply