backup to azure

• hi all

i have a sql 2016 server which i can backup to azure issue free, i provide access key via a credential and all works as expected.

i now want to do the same on a sql 2014 server, but with the same configuration and access keys i get an error

Msg 3271, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "https://name.blob.core.windows.net/sql/dbname.bak:" Backup to URL received an exception from the remote endpoint. Exception Message: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request..

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

• Have you review this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/2014/relational-databases/backup-restore/sql-server-backup-to-url?view=sql-server-2014

It appears that 2014 and prior versions require a different setup and configuration for backing up to Azure blob storage.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• hi Jeffrey

yea i did see this, but with updates to 2014 the backup to url option is now in 2014

i did try using straight up sql script as the link above suggests, but i get the exact same error!

mal

• The backup to URL functionality was introduced in SQL Server 2012 - what appears to be different is the methodology.

It appears that for 2014 and prior you need to specify the credential in the backup command, where for 2016 and later - that is not needed and the method of setting up the credential is different.

2014 and prior also have other limitations - for example, cannot backup to premium storage - cannot define MAXTRANSFERSIZE or BLOCKSIZE.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply