Backup taking MUCH longer on prod HELP:)

• Additionally, you are using SATA disk which are not going to perform as well. I would be interested to know what the RAID configuration is still. As Lynn suggested it would be good to watch for other activity on those drives to see if there is contention during your processing. The SAN admin should be able to provide that information to you pretty easily. Bring a Mt Dew with you and it will go even better. πŸ™‚

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thanks Guys. We will do the monitoring this weekend so we can see if we can spot contention. thanks!

Michael B
    Data Architect
    MCT, MCITP(SQL DBA 2005/2008),MCTS, MCP,MCDBA

• David Benoit (8/28/2012)

Additionally, you are using SATA disk which are not going to perform as well. I would be interested to know what the RAID configuration is still. As Lynn suggested it would be good to watch for other activity on those drives to see if there is contention during your processing. The SAN admin should be able to provide that information to you pretty easily. Bring a Mt Dew with you and it will go even better. πŸ™‚

If the Mt Dew is supposed to be a bribe, wouldn't work with me as I don't drink it. :w00t:

• Lynn Pettis (8/28/2012)

David Benoit (8/28/2012)

Additionally, you are using SATA disk which are not going to perform as well. I would be interested to know what the RAID configuration is still. As Lynn suggested it would be good to watch for other activity on those drives to see if there is contention during your processing. The SAN admin should be able to provide that information to you pretty easily. Bring a Mt Dew with you and it will go even better. πŸ™‚

If the Mt Dew is supposed to be a bribe, wouldn't work with me as I don't drink it. :w00t:

They are more into food. I promised a free lunch to whomever figures it out 1st!

Michael B
    Data Architect

• As long as you got the bribe thing working you'll go far.

I didn't drink dew either Lynn but donuts, that was another thing. Had to forgo those now too since I went over 40. Can't shed them like I used to. πŸ™‚

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I'm easy going with either vodka or chocolate. If anybody ever needs plenty IOPS while visiting the Netherlands. Just that you know...

• Any news after this weekends monitoring?

• OK. here is what we have found.

We made multiple copies on the server of one of the exact databases hosted on different SAN aggregates and also local drives along-side one of the prod database.

backup database Mydatabase_DDrive to disk = N'NUL' with copy_only, stats = 10

and we also did this to the prod database.

we found when you run this against any db with no users logged in it was VERY fast, and about 1/4 - 1/8 the IO speed with normal activity as far as reads per second. keep in mind that normal activity was very light. the counters we looked at were:

Disk read Bytes/sec and Disk Reads/sec...physical disk.

so the thought is, since I know a backup does the following:

1.Force a database checkpoint and make a note of the log sequence number at this point. This flushes all updated-in-memory pages to disk before anything is read by the backup to help minimize the amount of work the recovery part of restore has to do.

2.Start reading from the data files in the database.

3.Stop reading from the data files and make a note of the log sequence number of the start of the oldest active transaction at that point (see my article "Understanding Logging and Recovery in SQL Server" for an explanation of these terms).

4.Read as much transaction log as is necessary.

Maybe it is step one with the memory flush that is causing this? Thoughts?

It is definitely not Hardware I believe since the test were also done with a copy of the database on the same exact disk... and during backing up the prod db there is little activity IO wise...

Michael B

Data Architect

Michael B
    Data Architect

• thoughts?

Michael B
    Data Architect

• I didn't read over the full thread.

Did you check your backup file folder isn't being compressed at windows level ??

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution πŸ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• backup database Mydatabase_DDrive to disk = N'NUL' with copy_only, stats = 10

not going to a real folder...for my tests

Michael B
    Data Architect

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply