Backup Strategy and DR

• Hi all,

So we re-looking at our backup strategy and trying to put in some DR onto it as well. I had a few questions and was looking for some opions on what ive come up with so far.

We have 10 odd SQL servers in our main site. these were backed up straight to tape or to local disk then to tape (tape devices are being removed)

Ive been given 3 old servers with 2003 put on them (Not track aligned) with 500gb on each for storage

My idea was to use 1 server to backup all servers to.

Id then have a powershell or robocopy script that runs daily after the backups to move anything older than week to server 2. and any long term backups i need would go to storage 3.

My reasoning was it would always be easy to find the newest backup of any sql box as they are all in one location. Im using the ola scripts so everything is nicely put into directories already.

If i can get some tape backups i can set schedules etc easier with current data on box 1 etc as well.

Does that sound like a good plan? I spoke to someone and they said that theres a problem/issue with memory when you do backups to external location because of how win server works. Does anyone have any blogs, posts relating to it. Ive not found any at yet.

As a DR i was going to set up a new server on our second site and have mirroring or log shipping of the important database to there, so i know i always have them ready to go should site A go down.

Its my belief that if the box is used in a sort of active/passive (i know people hate that term now sorry) system the passive node didn't need a license? so i wouldn't need to get a license for the DR server on site b is that correct? Is that also correct for a cluster that runs with all instances active on 1 node and will only roll over to node 2 if 1 goes down?

If anyone has suggestions or sees anything crazy dangerous with the plan please let me know! still new to the world of sql and DR is always going to be passively important thing if its needed! so bad planning is a nono!

Thanks

S

• that is how my backups work, I have each sqlserver backing up to 1 fileserver and the logs going to another fileserver. The tape then reads from those 2 servers. The only issue is it can get a little slow if you are doing it remotely but if you are on 1 GB connection it works fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply