Backup Software

• I have an admin who is looking at Ultrabac for DR. It also has the SQL Agent which I prefer not to use and stay with native backup.

Which brings me to the question...outside of Compression, Encryption, and Easy-to-Use GUI what are the reasons for using something other than native backup.

• Not really sure. We are using HyperBac. It runs as a service and compresses our native run backups on the fly when they are done to one of the configured "types". If I run a BACKUP DATABASE to a .BAK file it is a straight native backup. If I do the same BACKUP DATABASE to a .hbc file, it is compressed or if to a .hbe file it is compressed and encrypted. I can also to it to a .zip or .rar file as well.

HyperBac aslo does the uncompression in the background when running a RESTORE.

• We use Litespeed. It does compressed backups and transaction log. There is also a ways to extract just one object from the Back up. Transaction log can be viewed easily as well. But I have never used the last two functionalities yet.

The compression rate is pretty good. Our Native Back up of 280 GIG is compressed to 60 Gig file.

-Roy

• Besides compression, the number one reason we use Litespeed is speed.

I can backup my 350GB database, with compression to a 60GB file in about 40 minutes.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams (2/25/2009)

Besides compression, the number one reason we use Litespeed is speed.

I can backup my 350GB database, with compression to a 60GB file in about 40 minutes.

Oh yes, I second and third that... 🙂

-Roy

• Ok, I agree on speed, compression, and encryption.

What about the portability of not deal with a third party file extension?

What about your backup and restore scripts working anywhere without extra software?

• Jason Crider (2/25/2009)

Ok, I agree on speed, compression, and encryption.

What about your backup and restore scripts working anywhere without extra software?

I could configure HyperBac to compress the files to the native backup file extensions (.bak or .trn).

• Jason Crider (2/25/2009)

Ok, I agree on speed, compression, and encryption.

No issues with file extensions, but yeah - we have to make sure we have Litespeed available to perform a restore.

I don't think that is much of an issue, since we are going to have to have CommVault (or other backup software) available to restore the files from tape anyways. This is just one more step in the DR plan.

Also, if needed you can expand the backup file so it can be restored using native tools. For Litespeed backups you would have to restore multiple files if you used multiple threads to backup, but that really is not much of an issue either.

As for Hyperbac - you can setup the backups so they are compatible with standard zip archive utilities if you want.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• HyperBac also has a utility for creating a native backup file from its compressed and encrypted/compressed files should you need to restore a backup file to server that does not have HyperBac installed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply