backup software

• Hi all

Can anyone advise on what sql backups software they use that provides the ability to restore 1 table, restore sp's, restore triggers by selection etc?

after a few very stressful hours i think it could well be the time to invest

we use sql 2005 std

cheers

mal

• I know LiteSpeed from Quest has object level restoration, not used that functionality myself so cannot confirm on how to use it, but it is in there.

Red-Gate have virtual restore, which mounts the backup files as if they where DB's so you could then compare DB1 to DB2 and see whats different and script out the objects you need. Cant remember which product their version of object level recovery is in, but I'm sure they do it as well, think its Backup Pro.

Also dont forget companies like SQLSentry etc.

So I guess that it comes down to how much you have to spend and which one serves all your requirements.

• Mal

We use LiteSpeed, but when I unsuccessfully tried to do an object level restore, I raised a call with Quest. They told me that our licence doesn't cover that. I imagine that if you want that functionality, you may have to pay handsomely for it.

John

• i must contact them and check the prices,

simply being able to compare the db's isnt great - i can easily restore a copy of the db into another db and do that, but id be really interested in being able to select a stored procedure and restoring that etc

- last night we dumped out our entire sp code - done a find/replace on the entire code applied to live, drive home and had the realisation it was wrong - :doze: not a great moment to say the least !!

• Red Gate offers a couple tools to help here. Object Level Recovery can help, but really you want to look at what you are restoring and make sure it's correct.

Virtual Restore runs quickly and loads the db up, and then you could use SQL Compare to look at the differences between the mounted database and the live one, and select which objects to move over from the restored database. SQL Compare also works, IIRC, between a SQL Backup Pro (Red Gate) backup and a live database, so you can "recover" objects from the backup. Again, you can see what you do before you do it. Just in case you selected the wrong backup.

Disclosure: I work for Red Gate.

• Just an aside, instead of relying on backups for stored procedures, triggers, and other structural pieces of the database, I'd get all that code into a source control system.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Handy Backup with a specific plug-in can backup tables, triggers, procedures etc. It can't selectively restore specific tables though, only a whole database.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply