Backup size is double (continued)

• I've read the topic posted by Grasshopper on 4/8/2009 4:03 PM and it doesn't quite fit my problem.

I have a 300MB development database, full recovery model, which has hourly transaction log backups from 7 AM to 8 PM and a full backup to a new disk file at 9 PM Monday to Friday, none on Saturday, and only a full on Sunday. Log file is only 4MB. The nightly full backup file is 569MB, far more then the database. Both the full and transaction log backups were set up with a maintenance plan, and options have not been altered. The Sunday backup is 285MB, slighly smaller then the database.

Why is my full backup 90% larger then my database?

Thank you for your help -

Alan

• Is it appending the backup to an existing backup file? That's pretty usual, and can definitely cause this to happen.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I think you're right. I created a new test db, set up a restore using management studio, and I see two restore files with the same db name, etc.

Live and learn -

Thank you,

Alan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply