backup schdule

• I have more than 350 databases to backup which i have to do during off hours in limited time, i am restricted to use only 6 hrs every night. So how can i make sure i use 6 hrs effeceintly so that after 6 hrs the job has to stop and restart next day as per the schdule.

• What data size are your databases and what size is your load on a daily basis ?

Maybe work out a scenario where you take full backups of a couple of databases on a certain day and for other db on other days.

Make your BU schedule covered by frequent log backups so you can support PIT restores.

Maybe also include differential backups, to support fast(er) recovery if your log load is to big to meet your recovery timeframe.

I think there are useful articles at SSC, but I don't have the refs by hand.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Some hints to speed up your backups.

Backup compression will also usually speed up your backups. Red Gate's SQL Backup[/url] is one option.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• Is there more slack time over weekends or is it the same schedule? You could use that time for doing full backups and then do differentials during the week. It might work. It might not since differentials are going to run longer over time. Remember, you can't count on full backups running the same amount of time, every time, so you need to give yourself some wiggle room when you start scheduling.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Why the 6 hour restriction ? Maybe the backups will not have a big impact on users. Schedule the high priority backups at the beginning, and maybe it's ok if the lower priority or less used backups run a bit later past the 6 hour mark.

In my old AS/400 days, there could be no activity during backups or some files would get skipped. That's not the case with modern SQL. Backups can run during activity.

Where are your backup writing to ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply