Backup-Restore Error

• I am trying to restore SQL Server 2008 Database backup in SQL Server 2005.

It is giving me error improper format.

i have tried to change compatibility in 2008 database to 2005 then took backup and

then i have tried with that backup but still i am getting same error.

any solution for this problem please?

Manoj

• You can not restore a SQL Server 2008 backup to a SQL Server 2005 system regardless of the compatibility mode of the database.

If you need to move a database from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2005 you will probably need to do the following:

1) Script the database in SQL Server 2008 with NO 2008 features

2) Run that script on the SQL Server 2005 system

3) Use SSIS to transfer the data from 2008 to 2005

• Thanks for your reply lynn.

But i have change compatibility level from 100 to 90 then took a backup of 2008 database.

logically this should work, if i am not wrong.

please any comments for this problem from all you expertise, shade some light on my problem please.

Manoj

• manoj2001 (7/23/2009)

Thanks for your reply lynn.

But i have change compatibility level from 100 to 90 then took a backup of 2008 database.

logically this should work, if i am not wrong.

please any comments for this problem from all you expertise, shade some light on my problem please.

Manoj

Doesn't matter what the compatibility level is set to on the database. All that does is modify how the database engine works and what syntax and data types you can use.

If the database is attached to a SQL Server 2008 server, it is a SQL Server 2008 database. The only way you can move it to a SQL Server 2005 server is basically the way I mentioned in my previous post.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply