Backup Question

• Currently we are using CA to backup SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 databases.

We are discussing letting SQL Server handle the backup and use CA to do a file backup on the .bak and .trn files.

I can't think of a reason that this would be a problem. I remember something about open file backups and that's why they went with CA. Any input would be appreciated.

• What's CA?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sorry, I believe it's this one that they are using:

CA ARCserve® Backup

• There's no problem with what you are trying to do.

ARCServe (and most backup solutions) have an open file agent which allows you to backup files that are in use by the OS or other programs. How it does it is cunning, I think it works by going through the handle of a file and taking each piece that it can until it has the whole file.

This is relevant when it comes to OS level processes or other software ones. It's rare that you would need it for SQL backups, however transaction files that may be being copied could run into issue.

It doesn't hurt to leave it on.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• I would not trust restores using an open-file backup. You don't know if the database will be in a consistent state upon a restore.

We have ARCServer on several servers. We use it to backup the backup files created using SQL Servers native backup.

• Nicholas Cain (2/2/2009)

ARCServe (and most backup solutions) have an open file agent which allows you to backup files that are in use by the OS or other programs.

That should be fine done on the .bak and .trn files (though there could be issues with it reading a half-written file. I wouldn't trust that on the database data or log files though.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • does arcserve backup direct to tape or virtual tape.?

Its common practice to use SQL native backups to disk and then use a tool such as arcserve to copy the .bak files off server. Exception to that would be if user database very large so good to go straight to tape.

In any case I would always take SQL native backups of the system databases, recovery would be quicker and probably simpler and more reliable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I'd never use Arcserve to backup anything other than the dumped SQL backups which you mentioned you were doing.

Certainly NEVER use the SQL agents to backup your databases. In 3 long long years of working with Arcserve I never saw that work once when attempting restores (which is why I never used it).

• That's what we are currently doing and we've had issues.

Looks like we are going to use it to do a file backup on the .Bak from now on.

• I've yet to see a solution that will back up a database in anything other than dumping to a phyical backup file outside of some SNAP utility on a SAN.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply