BACKUP PROBLEM

• I', having a problem in my backup.

This is the message:

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'S:\Backup\Terca-Feira\BACKUP-TERCA-FEIRA.BAK' failed to create. Operating system error = 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.).

Dos someone knows what kind of error is this??

Regards,

Felipe

• This is a locking problem at the operating system level. Some program (perhaps SQL Server, a file system backup program, or something else) has a file lock on the BACKUP-TERCA-FEIRA.BAK file. You can see what program has the file lock using a freeware (I don't think its shareware) program called "Handle" obtainable at http://www.sysinternals.com.

If you find out that SQL Server is the program with the existing file lock (a.k.a. handle) then perhaps you accidentally scheduled two different jobs to backup the same database simultaneously. If the above does not allow you to solve the problem, tell us if this is a one time occurance, every time a scheduled job runs, or even every time you attempt to manually back up the database.

• It's just what it says it is...something else is using that file. Are you backing up the backup file to tape? If so, is the tape backup running at that time? If not, are you appending any backups to that file? Is it happening at the same time as this job? Also, make sure your sysadmin/network admin aren't doing a backup of all the files at that time.

-SQLBill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply