Backup Plan Question

• I don't have a lot of experience with administering a sql server and I want to setup a backup set that corresponds to my weekly disk rotations. I setup a Differential Backup plan to run every 2 hours and another plan to Clean Up History that runs once a week on Monday night.

I figured that the Clean Up History will cause the next Diff Backup to do a base backup Monday at 11pm after the disks have been rotated and then proceed with a diff backup every 2 hours with that. This way each disk set has its own base backup with every diff backup for the previous week.

This is the first time I am using the maintenance plans so I am not sure if this is going to work. Another method I thought of using is have 2 backup plans one that that does a Full backup with overwriting the previous and then another for the differential backups appending to the same file.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Ok a reply isnt needed now, it didn't work. I adjusted the Clean up history plan to include a Full Backup of the database and used Overwrite. This seems to be working now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply