BACKUP OVER A NETWORK

• Hi guyz! I want to backup my database over the network, i.e. to another machine. How do i go about this?

• Are you using a domain or local system account to run SQL Server?

If you're using a domain account to run SQL it's basically two steps:

1) On the remote server create a shared folder and assign permissions to the account running SQL Server.

2) Run the backup using the UNC name (BACKUP DATABASE myDatabase to DISK = '\\servername\share' WITH CHECKSUM)

• How about backing up over a wide area network? I can back up in the local network, but when it comes to the wide area network, there's a big problem. How do i go about this?

• kerusy (2/5/2009)

How about backing up over a wide area network? I can back up in the local network, but when it comes to the wide area network, there's a big problem. How do i go about this?

Is the problem that it takes too long or gives you an error?

How large is the database backup and how fast is the connection to the remote site?

One method to get that across a WAN is to make the database backup locally, compress the backup file, copy that to the remote site, uncompress it and verify.

• How do i go about sending the backup to a network? This is because i would like to create the transfer as a task that is done from time to time

• Hi,

Can I do this?? In a LAN:

From one client connect to the server and make a backup into other client.

thanks

• kerusy (2/5/2009)

How do i go about sending the backup to a network? This is because i would like to create the transfer as a task that is done from time to time

u can schedule a DOS batch file(among many other ways) to copy backup to n/w machines....

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply