Backup Log with truncate_only

• SQL Version: "icrosoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.818 (Intel X86)   May 31 2003 16:08:15   Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation  Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)"

In trying to truncate log, I received this error message In NT Application event log: 18278: Datbase log truncated: Database: "dbname"

I ran a job with the following:  "backup log dbname with truncate_only" and generated the following error yet the truncate worked.

Executed as user: EBCBSNY\smemvsql01. DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 2528).  The step succeeded.

Any thoughts would be helpful

3/22/04 - Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will try them and let you know my findings.  Arun.

• Patience please, but I don't understand.  Where/what error message?

GaryA

• Looks fine to me.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Thanks for the reply but why does SQL report this as an error in the event log?

• Are you saying that when you view the application event log kept by the OS that in the left column you have a circle object red filled with a white X in it?  If so then this does appear to be an error.

Assuming that the application event log is reporting this event as an error, here is my SPECULATION.

#1 Since the DBCC message indicates that the event was successful, I am inclined to believe that message. 

#2 Is it possible that the truncate event actually had no data to truncate when the truncate function was performed.  This might be considered an unlikely event under normal circumstances, although I don't believe this.  Maybe the "error" message arises from the fact there was no data to truncate.  i.e. Not really an error, maybe a bug?

#3  I am not aware of any DBCC or stored procedure which can be ran against the log file to check its integrity.  Maybe someone else knows.

Best wishes

GaryA

• Run DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE) before and after the "backup log ...." command to check if it has really been cleared or not. The percentage utilization of the log file for the "db"name should drop down considerably.

Hope this helps.

AM

• It is not an error but is generated as a warning to notify you this has taken place in case someone did without your knowledge you would know it happened and when which can help narrow potentials down.

• Thanks Antares686.

Do you know if there are other situations where SQL Server places an event in the OS application log indicating an error, which is really only a warning?

Any BOL documentation on this?

TIA

GaryA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply