Backup Job Error

• Hello,

I created a backup job by scheduling a backup task. It appears that the last time this database was backed up was in May 2002, though I do not know how it was done.

I checked my job and saw this error:

Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such as CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation operation is completed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3023) Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013). The step failed.

Does anyone know how to resolve this error? There isn't a process running against this database.

Thank you so much,

Melanie

• It sounds like there were some nonlogged operations against your database and the job you setup is trying to run a transaction log backup before the full database backup. This will fail because you need to run a full backup first. If you manually run a full backup then your job should complete the next time, unless there are still nonlogged operations being run against your database. If this is the case then you'll either need to track down the nonlogged operations and have them changed or give up the ability to due a point in time restore. The exception to this is SQL 2000 where you can still perform a tranlog backup if there are minimally logged operations like SELECT INTO or BULK INSERT, but you still are unable to restore point in time... for recovery you need to apply the full tranlog.

Hope this fixes your issue,

Dan

• Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response. I actually thought I had scheduled a full backup. I manually ran a full backup and it went successfully. Then the differential backup went fine.

Thanks again,

Melanie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply