"Backup Files" Deleted Periodically

• Using Visual Studio 2005 VS5) to access SSIS there is a directory stucture created in "My Documents" that includes the sub-directory named "Backup Files".  When you create a new SSIS solution there will be a new folder by the same name under Backup Files.  The actual solution goes in a folder by that name under "Projects".  The code is never automatically transferred to Backup Files/<solution>; but you can manually cut and past it there periodically, and I have gotten into the habit of doing so regularly, and renaming it with a date extension (i.e., <solution> - the 14th, or similar).

On several occasions (on XP only) I have notices that the folder is missing - both the solution and the "Backup Files" folder.  Now, I just sort of thought that I had carelessly deleted it after I copied it to a secure location (and to a dongle in my pocket, and onto my home machine).  I had never lost anything; but it was still gone - repeatedly.

The structure re-creates itself, abiet, empty, when you do something in VS5... build, rebuild, clean and rebuild... I'm not sure what; but about a week goes by and something will take it away again.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I have been on the lookout for anything run globally in the company domain that might create and delete a folder with a similar name... and I run Ad-aware and SpyBot regularly, which could be the culprets; but I doubt it.

Beware.  It might not be just me

Cheers,

david russell

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Well, it turns out that there is an automated backup feature that may help you recover if you crash while editing in Visual Studio 2005.  It is set to purge the folder every seven days by default.  The name of the directory is "Backup Files" and it is mapped to appear in "My Documents"...

Why Microsoft would have the default installation map these folders to be visible to the user is totally beyond me.  Doesn't make a bit of sense... and if you delete it, it is automatically re-created... and if you use it for "backup" as the name implies, it is automatically deleted.

Good thinking MS!

Cheers,

david russell

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply