Backup failure

• I have SQL2008 (10.0.1600.22 (X64) developer Edition) on Windows 2003 sp2 cluster. When I back up a database (10 GB), most of the time, it fails. The errorlog says: Read on "E:\test.mdf" failed: 170(The requested resource is in use.)

I have used handle/procexp to check and the only holding process is sqlservr.exe.

What is the possible process holding the mdf file? How to find it?

I have tried a very small database and it works fine. If I keep trying backups for that 10 GB DB, it works only very few times randomly.

• How are you backing up? SQL native backup?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It sounds like you're trying to backup the individual database files. You can't. Actually, I'm surprised you were able to even with small database files.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I am backing up the database not the data file. I used SQL native backup, backup with compression, and even litespeed backup, either through GUI or T-SQL, no luck. It works occasionally only if I keep trying.

Why complaining MDF file is in use? What process could lock it against sqlservr?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply