Backup Failing (Unknown Cause)

• DIff backup on one of my DB is failing sometime (around 20% failure rate) with below NT Log:

LogWindows NT (Application)

Event3221228513

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE XXXX WITH DIFFERENTIAL. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

Moreover, it tells that the SQL Job is succesful. Can anyone share any experience like this? I need to fix it ASAP

• Does that show any error on sql error log?

• This is the only error I found in Nt log...

IN SQL , it tells backup failed.. See application log for more details..

I guess I found the cause... The box is very busy at the time is takes the scheduled backup.. So it failed at first attempt. However in next 2 secnds.. it reported that backup completed succesfully. So I beleive that there were some memory crunch at that time and backup failed. However, SQL Servers own recovery algorithm must have retried and took the backup.

Please let me know your view on this.

• Did you start backup job again manually?

• Nope.

• Hmm I have not have backups failed in that manner; if you right click on the maintenance job and check the history with details you should be able to see the cause.

Maybe space issues? What sp/sql build are you running?

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply