Backup failing to VM Server

• Hello,

We are getting a sporadic error when trying to backup our db that is approx 350GB to a VM server. The error we are getting is:

failed with the following error: "Write on "\\server\\PRD_backup_201008290548.bak" failed: 1398(There is a time and/or date difference between the client and server.) A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred

Our sysadmin has checked the time on the machines and has confirmed that everything is in sync so has no idea why this error is coming up. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue when using VM servers to backup their SQL databases to. Here is some info about the VM server:

It’s a VM running on VMWare ESX 4 – it’s got 4GB ram, 2 virtual processors (Xeon 2.93ghz) , c: is 40GB and your K: is 2TB. It’s running server 2008 std, SP2, 64 bit.

We are running SQL 2005 9.0.3186 on a Windows 2003 SP2 32Bit server...8-way 3.00GHz Intel Xeon (Hyper-Threaded) with 32GB of RAM

Thanks in advance!

Bea Isabelle

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• SQL Server 2005 SP2 backup failing[/url]

never mind miss read this article.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Isabelle2378 (9/3/2010)We are running SQL 2005 9.0.3186

Any reason why you have not applied SP3 for SQL Server 2005?

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Hi,

Yes, that is in the works as we speak. I have applied SP3 to 3 other servers and working up to apply it to our production server sometime in the next couple of weeks. Just havent gotten to it yet.

Thanks,

Isabelle

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• Hi Bea,

It could be that the VM's time is drifting enough during the backup. Which in turn could cause some authentication related issues.

For some troubleshooting steps related to timekeeping: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

• Thank you Todd! I will pass this onto my sysadmin!! 😀

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply