Backup failing due to insufficient disk space - 200GB available

• I'm hoping someone can help me.  I run daily complete backups on 2 dbases from a defined Maintenance plan.  The databases are 2 and 5 GB respectively.

I was getting short on disk space so installed an external 250GB hard disk and redefined the maintenance plan to backup both dbases to this new volume.

Worked great for 5 days.  Now the larger of the 2 databases is failing to backup due to 'insufficient disk space' where there is 200 Gb available.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks

Kim Schneider

• Hi Kim

I guess the problem could be bcz of memory. As in backup process, first backs up the file in memory and than writes to disk. So may be it is failing in memory.

Try to take filegroup backups.................May solve ur problem..

• Probably the first thing that I would check is the file system structure on the new disk.  If it's FAT32, then you need to change it to NTFS.

• Since in FAT32 the max file size can be 4GB minus 2 bytes so it can't take backup of 5 gb db change it to NTFS which can handle upto volume size

• Thank you all very much for your responses.  The cause for the failures was in fact the file system.  I changed from Fat32 to NTFS as advised and the backups are now succeeding.

Regards,

Kim Schneider

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply