backup failed..media is formatted to support 1 media famalies, but 2 media famalies...

• im trying to run a full database backup on my database. I right click the db, click on backup. there is already a backup destination listed, but i want to back this up in a seperate location. i add the location and new file name. I then click the ok button. I get the following error:

The media loaded on 'c:\...\db_backup_2009-09-02_214806_857144.trn' is formatted to support 1 media families, but 2 media famalies are expected according to the backup device specification

I have log shipping set up on this server and that is backing up the tran log to the location mentioned in the error above.

Is this error related to this?

when using log shipping, can i still take a daily full backup?

• Did you add a location or did you replace the location with the new one?

If you added a location then you're asking the backup to be striped across the two devices, half in each. You'd need both for a restore.

If you want to change the location, you need to remove the listed location and add the new one.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply