Backup Failed

• I have this error for a failed backup in the Job History log. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Michael

Executed as user: xxxxxxxxxxxx. 10 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  20 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  30 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  40 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  50 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  60 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  70 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  80 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  90 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  Processed 241008 pages for database 'ucpdb', file 'ucpdb_conv_Data' on file 1. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 4035)  100 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  Processed 3 pages for database 'ucpdb', file 'upcdb_conv1_Log' on file 1. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 4035)  BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013).  The step failed.

• Which version of SQL Server is this?  If it's 7, make sure the Truncate Log on Checkpoint option is not selected on the database in question.

If you're using 2000, it could be a number of things but particularly be on the lookout for anything that might be performing non-logged operations while your backup is taking place.  There's a Microsoft article that explains this issue in depth here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272093

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Could I just delete the transaction log then run the backups? We run in simple mode...so the log never really gets backed up.

• Well, running in Simple recovery mode implies that you're using SQL Server 2000, and therefore you're sort of in 'Truncate log on Checkpoint' mode by default.

As to your question, if you're truly not concerned about anything in the transaction log you can delete it.  The best method of doing this is probably to use sp_detach to detach the database, then use sp_attach_single_file_db which will attach the database and create a new transaction log with a default size determined by the model database (which is 1 megabyte unless this has been changed).

I would also be concerned about the integrity of the backup in the message above.  You should test your backups either by attempting to restore to a different location or server, or you can use the RESTORE VERIFYONLY command to check the integrity of the backup set.

It probably goes without saying, but remember that running in Simple mode you cannot perform a point-in-time recovery and will only be able to recover your data to the point where the last full backup was taken.  Hope this helps.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• If you are backing up to a file device using append or overwrite -

Delete or preferably, rename, your old backup file and try again. If the backup works immediately discard the old file. This is in case of a corrupted backup file or an undetectable O/S file system problem. (Which happened to us on a W2K server)

Check access permissions on the destination.

Backup to a different location.

Cheers,

DB

The systems fine with no users loggged in. Can we keep it that way ?br>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply