backup error

• Hi ,

when i am restoring the diff backup i got this error.can u help me most urgent

Microsoft SQL-DMO(ODBC SQLState:42000)

The preceding restore operation did not specify WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY. Restart the restore sequence,specifying WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but  the final step.

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

regards,

karhik kumar

• plz check ur backup path

• karhtik, you need to restore the full backup with either norecovery or with standby option so that the additional tranlogs backups or differential backups cud be applied......

restore the full backup with norecovery

restore the diff backup backup with recovery -->brings the db online for R/W operation

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• Your full database restore should ahve been with norecovery clause i hope you have missed that and the database has already become online. You need to redo the restoration of full backup specifying norecovery clause and then restore the diff backup.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• deepak thank you for ur reply.the same should do through TSQL or Enter prise manager.if T-sql plz send the code for the same.

cheers

karthik

• hi sugesh,

Thank you for ur reply,

can u explain where i have missed that WITH NORECOVERY options in Enterprise manager or T-sql.

most urgent

cheers

karthik

• Karthick i hope i have messaged you the details and that was helpful.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• backup error:

backup device 'w:\backup\......bak' failed to crate.

operating system error=32(error not found)

some days this error occurred during backup...server: clusterd.

pl.

• Hi Sugesh,

Thank u for ur reply.

I have tried the same in enterprise manger.after that i have seen database and showing "Databasename(Loading)".but i cannot access it the same.

I have restored first Full backup and then Differential backup.

can u explain futher steps.

Cheers,

Karthikkumar

• Karthik,

Just do as mentioned below,

Restore database DBname from disk='Path of your backup file\Fullbackup.bak'

with norecovery

Restore database DBname from disk='Path of your backup file\Differentialbackup.bak'

with recovery

may be you would have not used "with recovery" option for your differential backup.just try it out and get back if you need any help

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• Karthick,

I seems that you are using the enterprise manager to restore the database.

Here it goes to perform in EM.

1) First restore the Full back- While performing the full back select second option in Recovery Completion State ( Leave database Nonoperational but able to restore addition transaction logs). After this you will able to see your database in the EM as loading.

2) Second restore the differential back - While restoring the differential backup, if it is the last back, then select the first option in the Recovery Completion State ( Leave database operational. No Additional transaction logs can be restored). Now u r database comes online.

Regards

Kumar

• Hi kumar,

have followed ur procedure, but got this error msgs when restoring of Diff.bak

Cannot apply the backup on device.'D:\backup\orbitzicom diff backup.BAK' to database 'karthik'.RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

plz help me....

cheers

karthik

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply