BACKUP command hanging

• Jeffrey Williams 3188 (3/6/2014)

Are you on 2008 or 2008 R2? If 2008 R2 you should be using the native compression - which on a 500GB database could get you down to less than 100GB (or 2 files).

If you are still on 2008 and Standard Edition - then compression is not available. If you have Enterprise Edition it would be available.

If you cannot use native compression, I would recommend that you take a look at any of the 3rd party backup utilities that provide compression like Redgate's SQL Backup or Quest Litespeed.

Using compression may allow you the ability to backup locally and copy to USB which could improve how long it actually takes to perform the backup.

Well I never realised that compression became a Standard Edition feature in SQL Server 2008 R2!!! I changed my backup command and with splitting to multiple files + compression I managed to backup the 500GB to USB in 97 minutes which is pretty good IMHO.

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply