Backup because log file is larger than mdf?

• Hi all,

I am at a new job and have been here for 3 months so I am still learning the ropes here. We have a client side solution that uses both Foxpro and SQL.As far as I know, we do not set up any maintenance plans on our client side install of SQL.
    One of the sites is reporting a daily backup file showing up with the daily files and they want to know where it is coming from. The support engineer was told by the previous DBA that it was automatically created by SQL when shrinking the transaction log if it grows larger than the data files. I've never heard of SQL doing any sort of backup in this way, so I wanted to check with the experts. Does SQL ever perform backups without being told to do so?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks!

• Can you check the msdb.dbo.backupset history to see if it can shed more light on which account initiated the backup? There's a user_name column.

Also, what format is the daily backup file in? Sometimes that can tell you if (e.g.) a third-party tool took it.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Monday, March 11, 2019 8:19 AM

Can you check the msdb.dbo.backupset history to see if it can shed more light on which account initiated the backup? There's a user_name column.

Also, what format is the daily backup file in? Sometimes that can tell you if (e.g.) a third-party tool took it.

.bak, and i will check the table you mentioned.

• These particular backups are by the sa login.
    It looks like the daily backups use NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Strange. 
    They don't have any maintenance plans, so im not sure how those are happening. I'll dig deeper.

• I guess the most important question is: does sql ever backup a database without being told to by the user? If so, it's news to me.

• You say there are no maintenance jobs, but are there any SQL agent jobs? The backups may be being initiated on another server/instance, too.

• Mister Sachmo - Monday, March 11, 2019 8:10 AM

Hi all,

I am at a new job and have been here for 3 months so I am still learning the ropes here. We have a client side solution that uses both Foxpro and SQL.As far as I know, we do not set up any maintenance plans on our client side install of SQL.
    One of the sites is reporting a daily backup file showing up with the daily files and they want to know where it is coming from. The support engineer was told by the previous DBA that it was automatically created by SQL when shrinking the transaction log if it grows larger than the data files. I've never heard of SQL doing any sort of backup in this way, so I wanted to check with the experts. Does SQL ever perform backups without being told to do so?

Nope.
    Some external process somewhere is making the call for the backup to occur.
    Also, read this.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:16 AM

Mister Sachmo - Monday, March 11, 2019 8:10 AM

Hi all,

Nope.
    Some external process somewhere is making the call for the backup to occur.
    Also, read this.

thanks so much! i was questioning my sanity on this.

• Mister Sachmo - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:32 AM

thanks so much! i was questioning my sanity on this.

Ha! Well there are things that may, probably even will, make you insane in SQL Server, but backups are actually easier to deal with.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• On thing that I did notice was that these "rogue" backups were bulk-logged, where the regular daily backups are full recovery model. I need to figure that out for sure.

• Mister Sachmo - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:45 AM

On thing that I did notice was that these "rogue" backups were bulk-logged, where the regular daily backups are full recovery model. I need to figure that out for sure.

How are you determining that? (Bulk-logged is not an attribute of a backup, it's an attribute of a database.)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply