Backup and Restore data only

• Hi, I am wondering if it is possible to backup table data only so that when I restore, I do not overwrite destination database's stored procedures.

Thanks,

WH

• Not using BACKUP and RESTORE. You'd have to export the data to files and then import those files.

• Lynn Pettis (2/20/2009)

Not using BACKUP and RESTORE. You'd have to export the data to files and then import those files.

Nah - that's too much work. You'd have to save all of the create statements for the tables, keys, constraints, indexes, foreign keys, etc...

What you could do is script out all of the code in the destination first, restore the database, then run the scripts to recreate all of the code.

Now, I wouldn't do either of those - I would use Redgates SQL Compare to create a snapshot of my existing database. Perform the restore then use SQL Compare to compare the restored database to the snapshot and synchronize the differences from the snapshot.

But, that's just me 🙂

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Many thanks to both replies. We used RedGate tool as well. I could not believe that SQL Server does not provide such simple functionality.

• You could use Idera's SQL backup tool with object level recovery. Then you can backup the database, and restore just the selected tables. IIRC, it will restore just the data, so if the table does not exist, it will not restore indexes.

• Wont the redgate tool internally using a ETL process?

Using the tool would make it easy for the end user to accomplish the task.

"Keep Trying"

• Thanks for the suggestions.

• if we need table data we just restore to a different server with another db name and copy the data over

if you need to do this on a constant basis then you have management/security issues and you should lock down access to your db

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply