Backup and Restore

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Backup and Restore

• Testing what once a year?

I think testing is really important. Writing test cases that you trust, unit tests and integration tests, has proven over time to me to be valuable assets. If you for instance take over a legacy system and it already has good tests then you can do changes to it and run the tests and feel way more safe about those changes. Otherwise you can write tests for the part you want to change, then do the change.

This is a lesson I've learned late, but it's a good one. Annoying to get used to and in the beginning it is time consuming but later you have proof of what works and get a higher standard.

• Anyone should know that if you don't test your backup and recovery plans often you should plan to fail. It is unacceptable to find out you backups were not running and worse to find out that while they were they are useless because of any given problem. That should always be a resume generating event as it is called.

Cheers

• I totally agree, this can't be over-emphasized enough. Also, if you are using TDE make absolutely sure that all of your encrypted production backups will restore to your Development and QA environments without issue. Otherwise, you are in for some big surprises. Also, backup and restore those encryption certificates too! 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply