backing up to tape using a backup product

• Hi All,

Currently I am backing up my SQL Server databases to disk using SQL Server Maintenance plans. I would like to continue to use maintenance plans but send them to virtual tape using networker.

I read BOL and it seems that the only supported way that this can be done is if there is a tape drive attached to the local hardware where a particular instance that you would like to backup is hosted. Is it possible to backup to a remote tape device(ie: virtual tape)?

I know how to backup my databases to tape using the networker sql module for sql but would prefer to perform my backups/restores using the native SQL Server maintenance plans.

If this is not possible I am interested to hear feedback (positive or negative) on anyone's experience using networker for sql server backups/restores.

Regards,

John

• I don't think you can fake out the tape interface.

Will the virtual tape back up files? Any reason why you can't just have it grab the backup files from a specific folder?

• Ah - that kind of stinks. We are grabbing the backup files from disk now but would like to back up to tape directly to take advantage of the high fault tolerance built into our backup environment.

Attaching tape drives locally to each instance isn't an option since this could get quite expensive/messy...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply