Backing up databases with a rotation basis

• Hi.

I'm trying to figure out the best backup method for my sql 2000 databases. our network admin is using arcserve 2000 everynight to backup the server and all it's files. what i'm wondering is when i use sql server and it's own backup utilities to back up to disk, should i be using a rotation method with multiple disk files? and if so, can someone recommend a plan? we are a local government so we don't produce a high volume of transactions.

• I typically try to do a full backup every night to a new disk file, then have that copied to tape shortly afterward. I try to keep two sets on disk, usually when I need to restore in a hurry that is what I'll need, further back is usually just for research and I can pull from tape.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Can you explain to me what you refer to as "2 sets". and does that also mean you keep 2 sets of transaction logs to go with these full backups? Excuse the basic questions, but just trying to get a good understanding of how this should work. Thanks.

• By two sets I mean two full backups and all log backups done since the earlier backup. One point I left out earlier is that another reason I keep two days on disk is in case the tape backup fails. We only run the tape at night, I don't want to end up with a day that is missing from tape, this way it sits on the drive and is caught the next night.

Your mileage will vary. Everyone does this a bit differently. As long as you still have a reasonable amount of free disk space when you're done, keep as much as you can available. And on tape!

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• We do something similar to Andy. We keep between 1 and 4 backups on disk depending on the server (disk space and file size).

Makes it easy and quick to restore.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• I agree with the last statement. If the tape fails, who can guarantee tha you will have a healthy backup in case of system failure?

Best policy, run two sets (full backups to disk and then let your tape software run that every night.)

When I started in my present job, the company had "tape backup only" policy. I did recommended to have two sets. It was until a couple of months later that we saw the prudence of this policy, when we had to restore a db and the tape failed the night before (fortunatelly we had already two sets already in place.)

Go for it Juanita, that is your best CYB policy (Cover Your B..)

Godd Luck

• I think i've got the idea with the backups. So if i want to keep Mon thru Fri's backup each on a seperate file, would I be safe to store all transactions logs on 1 file for the week? Then I would start the following week by overwriting each days backup file and start with an overwrite on the 1 transaction log file at the beginning of the week? I was starting to think I would need a seperate t-log backup file for each days backup. But then it started looking messy..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply