I have done the following in this order:
- copied an existing database as a test.
- used the backup wizard to backup the database to an external drive.
- deleted the existing database on SQL Server.
- created a new empty database on the existing db with the same name (but with no data in it).
- then tried to restore from the external drive.
however, I am getting the msg "Restore failed for Server...The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing "nameofdb" database.
What I am trying to do is to backup the data so it can be installed on a new installation of SQL Server after the operating system is reinstalled and am just testing this process to see if it works properly...