Backing up accross Network fails

• Hi All,

I've read many of the theads on this subject but none of them seem to answer my specific problem. (including - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8147&CAT_ID=1&FORUM_ID=24&Forum_Title=Backups&Topic_Title=Backup+Databases+to+a+mapped+Drive)

We recently purchased a new file server for the purpose of storing backups. We have a Gigabit backbone between this and our SQL Servers. I only use the native SQL backup utility on SQL 2ksp3 running in Win2k.

Backups to the local disk work well but when I backup accross the network to a UNC path I get most of the file created and then the backup fails. If the db is small it works fine, but the one I'm working with is about 6 gigs and the backup fails after about 50%.

Please help.

Chris.

Chris.

• Does your file server have any quota limits on disk space?

• Here's some more information.

I have tried the following with the same results:

*backing up to the unc path

*Backing up to the UNC Path using IP address

*Creating a backup device via UNC Path and backing up to it

*Backing up to a mapped drive to the path

There are no quotas on the file server yet, and there is about 750 gb free. The sql user is a domain admin as well as an admin on the local machine of both the SQL server and the file server. I have set DBCC traceon (1807) as I've read this helps in various articles.

The error I get is:

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \device\lanmanredirector\directoryname\filename. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file eslewhere.

Followed by:

"Write on 'G:\test.bak' failed, status = 64. See the SQL Server error log for more details. BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

quote:

Does your file server have any quota limits on disk space?

Chris.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply