Backing up 50GB Dorian DB

• We've recently implemented Dorian Event Archiver which runs off of a SQL database. I've created a 50GB SQL database and an automated backup routine for the data and log files from the SQL server to our SAN. The data file backup is consistently failing - below is the error in the server's event log. The transaction log backup is successful. Anyone have any experience with this application or ideas? Thanks.

-Al

Event Type:      Error

Event Source:   MSSQLSERVER

Event Category:            (6)

Event ID:          17055

Date:                10/8/2005

Time:                10:02:10 PM

User:                OPNT\Administrator

Computer:         APSQL

Description:

3041 :

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [Dorian_Security] TO [Dorian_Security Full backup] WITH  NOINIT ,  NOUNLOAD ,  NAME = N'Dorian_Security full backup',  NOSKIP ,  STATS = 10,  NOFORMAT

For more information, see Help and laceName w:st="on">SupportlaceName> laceType w:st="on">CenterlaceType> at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: e1 0b 00 00 20 00 00 00   á... ...

0008: 06 00 00 00 41 00 50 00   ....A.P.

0010: 53 00 51 00 4c 00 00 00   S.Q.L...

0018: 00 00 00 00               ....   

• Hello,

Please go through this link

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=17055&eventno=3647&source=MSSQLSERVER&phase=1

Hope it might help you.

Thanks

Lucky

• What message do you see in the SQL Server error log?

Greg

Greg

• Al,

You say you created an automated backup routine. You do not mention how. If it was with the Database Maintenance wizard this would create a fresh backup file each time.

However it appears that you created a backup device ( [Dorian_Security Full backup] ), then using the Backup Database task and choose to schedule. However you did not mark the Initialise option ( WITH  NOINIT  ). This means each time it attempts to backup the database, it will ADD to the existing backup file on the hard disk.

Therefore I am guessing that you have run out of disk space for the backup.

I think if you view the contents of your backup device you will find you have multiple backup images.

How to fix it quickly? Edit the step in the sql agent job changing the NOINIT to INIT.

I trust that you have a backup mechanism that will transfer the backup file from your hard disk to other media.

Robert

• Thanks. Yes, I created a backup device and am archiving multiple backup images in the file. I have plenty of disk space available on the SAN. Good guess though. I have changed the rcovery mode to simple, and the backups ran last night. The vendor specifies this recovery model in it';s documentation, but as I was not involved from the beginning of this initiative, I never saw it. Apparently the application employs its own TL system.

This now raises another question - how can I shrink my log files smaller than their original created size? I'd like to the space back.

Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply