Back Yourself Up

• hakim.ali - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:11 PM

Marcia J - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:03 PM

Going back to the article where it said, "make the effort to create great memories with the ones you love. When they look back, maybe the first things that come to mind are those happy memories, which may offer some comfort."  That is so, so true.  I can testify that they do indeed offer comfort.

Very sorry for your loss. Thanks for the feedback. I'm suddenly thinking wow, this is not just abstract anymore, this just got real...

Well, your advice was on target.  Here are some other things I thought of on the way home from Mom's tonight:
    - Teach your values.  Some of the values my dad passed on were the value of hard work, the value of family, the value of following God.
    - Show your love.
    - If you really want to backup yourself, you could have six kids like my mom and dad did.  OK, I don't really recommend that, but because we have a family that pulls together, it has made this easier.  I realize that's not always the case.

• Social Security is primarily a jobs program for federal employees and a big pool of money from which Congress can borrow to fund other programs. It's only secondly a retirement program. It should be managed like an IRA.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• What a useful post! Thank you for this important reminder. 

I put lots of thought into how things work in the office if I'm not in -- I've worked hard over the past year to hand off things as appropriate. And it's worked -- I've just come back from a two week holiday where I didn't turn on my work laptop once! Ok, I did get one automated message which I forwarded to a team member, who sorted it out quickly without any input from me. 

At home, this is something I've thought a lot about over the years. My husband knows how to get to the document where I've left information, but I haven't reminded him about it in a while so I think it's time to a) update it and b) remind him that it exists. I guess it's time to re-evaluate our life insurance amounts, as well. And there are things that only my husband knows about so I need to ensure that those are documented as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply